Monday 10 June 2019

Mick Telling Memorial Match - Wickwater

Peg 10
74lb 10oz (all silvers)
Won section
3rd overall
18 fished



One of my old haunts, Wickwater on the South Cerney waters.  This is an annual event that I run for my dad and raise a few quid for Cancer Research.  Unfortunately two people didn't turn up or let me know, which did mess the pegging up, as it supposed to be 4 peg sections... so I pegged it as fair as possible.  Like the bottom bank 9, 10, 11 & 12 (no one had island chuck).  

At 12.35 I had to make a decision, so made it sections of three and took pegs 1 and 20 out.....  this did make it slightly unfair.  So I apologise to 17 anglers, in reflection I should of re pegged it and started later (but I know I would of pi$$ed a few lads off).  So a loose, loose situation.

I got someone else to draw my peg AND open it up in front of everyone.  Peg 10, on bottom bank, plenty of room, but I had no island chuck and Chris Rust on peg 8 has.... so I was up against it.  Jeremy on peg 9, which was also going to have a go at silvers also. So game on!!

I tried for a early carp and failed.  So on the pole for silvers....  but the lines faded quickly and wouldn't settle for whatever reason.  Also I noticed I caught a few skimmers, so changed my approach, to feeding heavier but less frequent.  Also regular topping up of balls of groundbait was EVEN better.  5.30pm to 6.30pm I had ten Bream/skimmers, which was my best run, this was roughly 25lb.  I had a couple of Bream that may knocked around the 5lb mark, so happy days.

Really pleased to get into my dads final, but slightly disappointed that I didn't catch more, as I lost 5 bream, lost one carp on the skimmer gear, and a bit of time at the beginning on the match.  So caught 74lb of skimmers, bream and roach, but fair from perfect.  A prefect match would of saw me catch easily 120lb of all silvers.

Jamie Read won the biggest fish.

Winner.... again.

Frank Donachie (second best mate)
Gear used

Jon Walker 0.6 
0.18mm Shimano Aspire to 0.125mm Colmic Stream 
1.5mm E2 Vespe elastic 

Best bag of bream I've ever had from South Cerney (only been fishing for 30 years).

Part of 74lb skimmers

Winners and my Mum

Jamie Read won the biggest fish.
Thanks to Hinders Bait for supplying some prizes.
Chris Rust

Loads of great memories of this lake

£200 raised
£5 peg x 18 = £90
£5 donation × 18 = £90
£20 donation from Terry Hicks.

If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright ©  For any use of content (words and images) please contact me

No comments:

Post a Comment