Sunday 6 August 2017

Mick Telling Memorial Final

Bourton on the Water
Peg 9
113lb
1st
12 fished


Me and my Mum
Obviously been my dads match it means a lot to me, as you can imagine.  Years ago, when I was a boy I used to fish it with my family and then for my Uncles memorial match too (uncle john, had to be "uncle John").    So I had so back ground knowledge was good, but haven't fished it for years so was unsure how it was fishing.  Laurie Lang was help to us, as he run matches (opens) prior to the event, so people could practice if they wanted to.  Unfortunately for me, just couldn't get the time off with two jobs!!!! So I was going in blind.

For me, I was going to be very narrow minded, as I was told that Rudd were a problem, so I was going to fish paste short and maybe long (10 meters) and maggots and mircos down the edge.  I brought a gallon of reds to unsure I wasn't under gunned.....

My second best mate (Frank Donachie) was watching me and the paste presentation was a nightmare, couldn't present it right and was concerned I was missing out on the early "mug" fish.  To cut a long story short, I switched to maggots over depth and feed mircos and maggots long and this helped me no end, then the wind dead down and then fish hard pellet and caught steady after a rally poor 1.5 hours!!

Big potting down the edge was awful, and toss potted maggots and mircos and waited for bites, this was SO MUCH better, so fed next to nothing.  Basically it was a match where the less I feed the more I caught.

Was very pleased and relieved to win the match, as it was tough and got me thinking and I pulled it back from 5.30, and caught some decent fish down the edge which help me pin Jamie.  So I only best Jamie by 14lb, which was only two fish.  So close match.

Congratulations to all finalists for getting to the final 

Many thanks to D&J sports for donating the trophies and thank you to Colmic for donating the rod and clothing.


1. Chris Telling 113lb 2oz
2. Jamie Read 98lb 15oz
3. Gary Donachie 79lb 14oz
4. Nathan Reeves 72lb
5. John Williams 65lb 7oz
6. Martin Price 64lb 4oz
7. Martyn Howard 60lb 9oz
8. Daddy price 53lb 1oz
9. Stephen Partington 52lb 2oz
10. Jeremy Benson 50lb 10oz
11. Martin Wickens 49lb 8oz
12. Andy Burns 41lb 8oz

Just qualifier will be end of June 2018 (last weekend) at Marlborough canal.


Jamie Read
Gary Donachie




Mick Telling Finalists 2017

If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright © For any use of content (words and images) please contact me

No comments:

Post a Comment