Thursday 28 March 2019

Paste Fishing

Paste fishing has to be one of my favourite ways of fishing on commericals, people that have known me for a while, know that I was a proper "paste head" at one stage and would feed a lot of bait with it, which gave me mixed results. I either won the match or I would come last, and there was too many matches where I blew my peg and I would of been better fishing pellets or corn rather than fishing paste (in March 😂).



Some people do hate paste fishing and these people normally refer fo it as "noddy fishing" or "people that can't fish pellets probably" and "fishing the poo".  However the results on paste fishing speak for themselves.

I will warn you it is messy and bowl of water and even wet wipes after could be a good shout. Unless you like me 😂.

Personally I've had some great sucess on paste fishing in 2018, won quite a few matches on paste and set a lake record at Alvechurch on Horseshoe with 16 people fishing on the lake, 201lb. Also my highest ever 5 hour match weight on paste was at Rolfs with 394lb with ..... fishing. (Rolfs fish like a lot of venues are looked after at weigh in 6 keepnets were used and a few board fish. Any fish over 10lb are weighed/recorded and returned immediately).

I used to use it a lot at Ivy House Lakes (probably had my best ever run in open matches there). Also Wickwater at South Cerney Lakes, 16 ish years ago, where I learnt to fish it (god I miss them days).

Pellets

Last year Animo Pellets or Animo oil was added to my mix in the hight of the summer. I found fishery pellets over wetted or Skretting based pellets were my number one shout.

Corn

Sounds strange, but feeding corn and fishing paste over the top is a good shout on some venues. I use corn a lot at Alvechurch as you have a 2kg limit of pellets/groundbait limit. Therefore I use a lot of corn there, sometimes 5 tins. I use Lidi corn, straight of the tin. I know some anglers swear by Green Giant, and it is good, but almost double the price and I personally don't feel its much better.

I know some anglers use frozen corn, 1kg bags. Its soft and seems to work well for some anglers, especailly catching skimmers at Ivy House Lakes. Baggey does really well on it. One tip on frozen corn tip whole contents of defrosted corn into a bucket of water and remove the floaters. As there always seems a couple of bits of corn that never want to sink.

Groundbaits

Groundbait paste, is something I haven't used much of. I know some anglers swear by it.

Feeding

This is very difficult to answer. To be honest I found in recent years "dumping" isn't the way to go, unless your on shed full.

When fishing paste I try to feed whilst my rig is not in the water.  Ideally feed when playing fish and then hopefully the peg is settled.... cleaner bites normally.

Rigs

Paste is not always about 0.20's plus rigs and hauling. Sometimes dropping down to 0.14 hooklengths can be so much better, especially for skimmers /bream.

Big fish

Fish can be a much bigger stamp on paste. In match conditions it doesn't take long to do weight for a short time, last 40 mintues of a match can be hectic.

Again, I do not confess to being an expert or master on paste fishing. This is my view on paste fishing, I hope my advice helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment