Saturday 4 August 2018

Clainfield. River Fest.


  • Peg 19... permant peg 35.  6 perch, 1 dace and around 100 bleak...... 
  • 4lb 3oz to win my five peg section
  • 60 fished
My first ever River Fest ticket, and I hoped for a "bung hole billy peg" at my old haut at Clainfield.  I used to fish this as a boy with my dad and Uncle John years ago. 

I spent hours getting my gear ready, as I haven't fished a river since the winter league last year and I didn't wanna embarrass myself......

It was good to see some old friends at the draw and of course my team mates.  I'm very lucky, as Paz is our team and is arguly the best "Upper Thames and Middle Thames" angler in the country.  Results say it all!!!  Anyway, got the permant pegs off him on the morning and drew peg 19, which was peg 35.  Paz screwed his face up and said "don't wanna be there"

Peg 35 is on inside of bend, all flow at feet and super shallow on far bank.  Not ideal.  But as i say, take the rough with the smooth.

On arrival to peg, I had a feature to my left, but Andy Bruton was sat right on it.... so this was going to slow things down.  Not a good roach peg either.  So four whips come out, three up in the water for mainly bleak and one deck rig.  Then the chop rigs and a couple of hopeful roach rigs.

I won't bore you with unnecessary text, and be concise.  I caught 6 perch in first hour and 15 mintues and that was the end, despite feeding and having quick looks throughout the whole match.  The hemp line, caught nothing and the bleak were super hard to catch and to chase them up and down, hence the four whips..... was pleased to win the 5 peg section but disappointed not to catch any roach and no more late perch....





If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright ©  For any use of content (words and images) please contact me

No comments:

Post a Comment