Saturday 6 April 2019

Ivy House Lakes - Canals

Ivy House Lakes
Peg 35 - Moorhen Lake.
64lb 10oz
12 pegger
Won lake and second overall.

Back to Ivy House Lakes again today and drew in the car park, peg 35, "end peg bung hole".  I really did fancy this, but to be honest fancied anywhere on Moorhen.  Got a bit of stick, again, from the locals saying this won the last three matches 🤔🤔🤔.   Looking at results you can see that weren't true, especially when I won the last match on peg 24 on Tuesday's affordable match.

I did fancy the other end, as the wind was blowing up there again, but as already said "fancied anywhere on Moorhen" as it really has loads of fish in it.  So in my opinion makes it a fair lake.  Obviously the ends with room are going to have advantage.

After Tuesday's match, I wanted to put a few of mistakes right.  I felt I didn't rotate lines quick enough, also for whatever reason I felt that maggots were better than pellets, despite it been stock fish.  Also this is a numbers game, but catching the right stamp fish.  No point saying I've caught 200 carp, but only weighing in say 28lb (this is only a rough guess) and doing no good, as you do need to catch the odd 8oz to 1lb to boost your weight.  I'll give you the perfect, and honest example of fishing on the Kennet and Avon canal back in the day....  where it was a "numbers game" a lad, who I have unfortunately forgotten his name, but used to fish for Blackmoor Vale (hopefully he may read it) said

"Hey Chris, how many fish you caught"?

"Dunno mate"

"I've got 248 fish on my clicker"

"I haven't got no where near that"

Come to the weigh in, he weighed 5lb to my 10lb..

"You f@cking liar"

"No response from myself" 

The canal matches were a numbers game, but you had to stay in touch with the correct stamp, tiny fish meant change.  The change could be rig, feeding, rotation of lines, different hook bait.  So for me, this Moorhen lake is fundamentally the same as squatting fishing on the Kennet and Avon canal back in the day, which 20 years ago, I felt I was quite good at it.

Hope you enjoyed me telling tales.  Maybe Telling Times should be about telling tales?

But when telling tales ensure they are true!!!




Tackle used

Garbolino UK2
0.2 Jon Walker Floats
0.165mm mainline
0.115mn hooklength
18 B911
1.5mm Vespe elastic

Well done to Steve Heath for winning the Wroughton match on Moorhen peg 21 (7/04/14).  Just shows paper (results) speak a lot a louder than words!!  How many times you heard "well drawn' or "bung hole".

If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright ©  For any use of content (words and images) please contact me

2 comments: