Wednesday 29 April 2020

Introduction to Match Fishing

I’ve been a match angler for over 25 years and there is not a minute that I regret been a match angler.  Match fishing is what you make of it, it can be highly competitive, expensive and time consuming. Or it can be with a group of friends that fish together and have a crack.

This post gives you information on how to start match fishing, as I did.

The beginning

Normally you start coarse fishing with a family friend or mate, I started with Uncle and Dad. So I was lucky I had a few family members that took me as a kind.  I fished mainly South Cerney Angling Club waters and the Abbey Lake Angling Club, both clubs still operate 25 years on.  So I learnt the basics of fishing and my dad encouraged me to fish junior matches.

Gaining knowledge

Like any hobby or sport, knowledge is the key to success (knowledge is power).  There is so much you can learn through social media, publications, coaching days, asking people you fish against or see on the bank.  Most anglers are very approachable.


Magazines

Anglers Mail
Angling Times
And more

YouTube

And more

Coaching sessions

And many more

Club fishing

So I fished local club matches as a junior for South Cerney Angling Club and enjoyed them, it was run by Pete Sarahs who is a living legend.  This was great as you had inter club matches, whereby you would fish against another clubs and met you people and learn new methods.  As lots of venues have their own little tweaks and you can learn transferable information.  Great way of meeting people and I went onto fishing Peatmoor Angling club people matches too.

Your next step could be moving onto the open match circuit, or stick to what you enjoy.  There's nothing in the rule book stating that you must progress from your club circuit. There are supported events for club fishing,  Garbolino do an event called the Match Fishing Club man of year.  Also Bait-tech does prizes and events dedicated to club anglers.

Open matches

Open matches is where venues run matches on their match, and the entry fee per match catch be from £20 to £30, and some matches can be more.  A lot venues run open match every week, four or more on some venues.

I would suggest picking a venue that suites your preferred style of fishing and set your stall small, don’t have great exceptions that your going to catch loads of fish and win.  I found a massive jump from club fishing to open fishing.  I was reasonably successful on my local circuit as a club angler at the age of 16, then fished against lads that have been fishing longer than I’ve been alive.  However, defeat is a great way of learning, as I had to up my game to compete.  When I go to new venues, I do prepare myself to get beat, but you learn from that and go again and hopefully put your wrongs right. This what makes fishing so interesting.

Team Fishing



I spent a good amount of my angling time team fishing, which is a great way of learning and interacting with people.  The matches I have fished is;

Spring League on the K&A teams of 4
Summer League on the Oxford circuit (formerly known as Drennan Super League)
Angling Trust winter league.  (This is biggest winter league in the country, as the top 2 of each league come together to fish the final)

Team fishing is fishing for points, so normally the highest weight will get 1 point and then second gets 2 points, and so on.  The team with the overall lowest points will win.


Any questions on the above topics then feel free to comment below.

If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright 
©  For any use of content (words and images) please contact me.


No comments:

Post a Comment