Wednesday 6 March 2019

Edge fishing with maggots

Maggots on commercials can be deadly, especially done the edge in the warmer months.



With the warmer weather on its way, I thought I'd share a post with you on maggot fishing down the edge.  In recent times, a I have been a good believer in feeding dead red maggots down the edge for big carp and sometimes big weights.  I simply buy fresh maggots, ensure they are cool and clean, simply freeze them in plastic bags (ensure they are froze for at least 48 hours, otherwise they will come back to life).

There is no hard for fast rules I've found on feeding maggots down the edge, but hopefully a few pointers may help you.  I must stress I don't claim to be master or expert on any of my fishing.

Groundbait.

Grounbait and or mirco pellets.  Sometimes you need to be flexible in your approach.  For really shallow water I find feeding loose wet groundbait can be highly effective of bringing fish into the peg, but once they are they then only feeding maggots over the top can be best.  This can be more productive and produce clean bites.  However, other days you may need to feed groundbait more frequently, even to every single fish.  This can require a lot of bait, a few kilos of groundbait and 4 or more pints of maggots.

Slop and maggots

When fishing short, top kit (2.5 metres), sloppy groundbait or crushed pellets with maggots can be awesome.  This can work really well in shallow waters like Todber Manor and Alders Farm.  Both places ive had some decent sucess.  But I must say, not that I am a "name dropper" but Trevor Price is the best angler I've seen doing this method. Is there anyone better?

Timing

Normally maggots down the edge is best in the later stages of match.  If your lucky you may catch early, especially on evening matches or draw a really good peg with plenty of room.  "Ends and bends" Heronbrook quote.

Sometimes going straight down the edge can produce a few quick fish.  Ivy House Lakes we used to do it a lot on the Match Lake.  If you were lucky you may get a couple of units early.

Position

Some venues, its best to fish to the next platform  (if allowed), as the fish may think this is waste bait left over from someone throwing their bait in.

Depth, this can be unbelievable, Todber in the summer I was fishing in 9 inches of water and catching fish up to 8lb.

Gear used

In 2018 I used my Garbolino UK2 for most of summer commerical fishing, especially edge fishing. Also I liked using strong reliable gear, normally 0.18 line is about right.  I fish it straight through if there is no snags and fished Yellow Ozone 2.5mm elastic on most occasions, as this fish can cruise out of the peg trying to cause the minimum disturbance.  The Garbolino top kits, are shorter than some poles, therefore the elastic will power up quicker.

If I was fishing more demanding venues like the Match Lake at Ivy House or Heronbrook, then I would not hesitate to fish 3mm hollow elastic  and 0.22 line with big bunches of maggots on a hook.

Floats, always Jon Walker floats.  So strong and durable.  I like cane bristles and glass stems. Cane is buoyant, strong and very visible.  Glass is very strong and stable.  Floats can vary from 0.1 to 0.5 gram, basically the more solid it is, then the heavier the float.  Bigger fish, can sometimes require very light floats.  This will depend on the venue you fish and conditions.

My biggest match weight

My biggest weight on maggots down the edge was at Manor Farm Leisure May Festival, which was 313lb in 5 hours, with over 50 anglers on the whole venue (not a 4 pegger).




If you like the articles written here please respect my copyright ©  For any use of content (words and images) please contact me

No comments:

Post a Comment